I'm an adult, no one will ban me from anything- Muhoozi – Monitor
First Son, Gen Muhoozi Kainerugaba. PHOTO/ FILE/ COURTESY
By MONITOR REPORTER
Barely two days after President Museveni said his outspoken son would stay off Twitter when it comes to affairs of state, after a social media tirade that included a threat to invade neighbouring Kenya, Gen Muhoozi Kainerugaba rebutted saying he will not be banned from anything.
“I hear some journalist from Kenya asked my father to ban me from Twitter? Is that some kind of joke?? I am an adult and NO ONE will ban me from anything!,” Gen Muhoozi tweeted Tuesday night and followed up– three hours later– with another tweet touting former Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) president, Dr Kizza Besigye against the National Unity Platform (NUP) principal Robert Kyagulanyi alias Bobi Wine.
READ: A fool at 40 and when a leader pulls his son off the winners’ podium
Muhoozi apologises over Kenya tirade
“Personally, I like @kizzabesigye1. He is an elder and we can learn a few things from him. But Kabobi? Hapana!” he wteeted.
Muhoozi, 48, has often caused controversy with his comments on Twitter but his particularly undiplomatic outburst earlier this month caused Museveni to step in.
“He will leave Twitter. We have this discussion. Twitter is not a problem. The problem is what you are tweeting about,” the veteran leader said in an interview with a local Ugandan television station.
But Kainerugaba, he said, would still be able to take to social media as long as he restricts himself to comments about sport, for example.
“Talking about other countries and partisan politics of Uganda is something he should not do and he will not do it,” Museveni added.
The president had apologised to Kenya in early October after Kainerugaba, among other remarks, suggested taking his troops to capture Nairobi.
He also chided Kenya’s former leader Uhuru Kenyatta for not attempting an unconstitutional third bid at the presidency in the August poll, in what was seen as a slight against the newly elected President William Ruto.
The first son also last week sought forgiveness for his remarks from Ruto, whose swearing-in ceremony was attended by Museveni.
In Sunday’s interview, Museveni nevertheless defended his son as a “very good general”, after promoting him to the rank despite stripping him of his role as leader of Uganda’s land forces.
Although Kainerugaba has repeatedly denied claims he intends to succeed his 78-year-old father — one of Africa’s longest-serving leaders — he has enjoyed a rapid rise through Uganda’s army ranks.
READ: Computer Misuse Amendment Act symptomatic of its political context
Uganda’s Computer Misuse Act faulty, will curtail freedoms, say rights activists
We come to you. We are always looking for ways to improve our stories. Let us know what you liked and what we can improve on.
“I’m glad that President Museveni’s recent interview cleared the air. We did not discuss details of transition. All we stated was our aspiration for a peaceful and democratic presidential…
Mr John Sentamu, aka Kelly Slender, 26, was picked up by a drone at his workplace more than a month ago in connection with disturbing the peace of the Speaker on Twitter
The WHO representative said their focus will be in the districts of Mubende and Kassanda, the epicentre of the disease
If you have an Ad-blocker please disable it and reload the page or try again later.